While there is currently no known cure for asthma, research shows that vaping peppermint leaves or oils can often reduce outbreaks and the severity of the disease’s related symptoms. According to the American Lung Association, nearly 26 million Americans suffer from this chronic lung disease. There are different prescription medications that can help manage this disorder, but many asthmatics searching for a natural treatment are turning to vaping peppermint as a reliable and cost-effective alternative.
Asthma is an extremely serious disorder that can sometimes result in shortness of breath, a tightness in the chest, wheezing, and coughing. In extreme cases, simple breathing is nearly impossible. In fact, a severe asthmatic attack can even be fatal. The three primary types of asthma include:
- Allergy-induced asthma: Triggered by exposure to dust, dander, or other substances of which the patient is genetically predisposed to allergic reactions
- Exercise-induced asthma: Triggered by strenuous activity
- Occupational asthma: Triggered by exposure to certain workplace-related substances, chemicals, and/or fumes.
One of the more common causes of allergy-induced asthma attacks is exposure to certain elements that trigger the release of a substance called histamine in the body. Peppermint is a type of natural antihistamine, an herb found in nature that prevents or blocks this release of histamine in the body. Asthmatics can vape it, apply it topically through ointments and creams, or ingest it orally via capsules, pills, or powders. One of the added benefits of vaping peppermint is that the body absorbs its life-affirming properties more quickly, which means that the patient experiences its therapeutic effects almost instantly compared to pills or ointments.
Vaping peppermint as a natural lung cleanser
According to the Global Health Center in Houston, Texas, peppermint or mentha piperita inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth and lungs much like the propylene glycol of e-liquids. This antibacterial effect is why so many mouthwashes and toothpastes are flavored with peppermint as opposed to cotton candy or strawberry, for example. Other health benefits of peppermint including the following.
- Resolves digestive problems
- Reduces sinus inflammation
- Relieves nausea
- Heals stomachaches
- Reduces snoring
- Relieves irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Manages flatulence, bloating, and diarrhea
- Reduces menstrual cramps and pain
- Manages depression-related symptoms and anxiety
- Minimizes pain from headaches, toothaches, arthritis and joint issues, and even muscle spasms
- Aids in constipation when rubbed on the lower abdomen
- Heals skin irritations and rashes
- Reduces symptoms from pregnancy-related morning sickness
- Reduces chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting
- Has even proven to cure hiccups in many cases.
The FDA may be attempting to implement a flavor ban on flavored e-liquids, but they will never be able to make vaping peppermint and other dry herbs illegal. However, asthmatics should always consult with their physician before vaping peppermint as part of their health management program. Because some forms of asthma are allergy-induced, the strong aromas produced while vaping peppermint can sometimes trigger an allergic or asthmatic reaction.